Tuesday, October 16, 2007

My "Mighty Man"

Most of my blog posts are about my little "arrows," but this one is about the love of my life.

Did you know that today is Boss's Day? I don't think it's a coincidence that it is also my husband's birthday! I think that God, in His sovereignty, planned it that way as a comical reminder to me of my husband's (rightful) leadership in our home. :) I am so glad that God created me for Mr. Ely (Gen. 2:18), and that He led us together. My "mighty man" really is wonderful...and here's why I think so (in no particular order)...


* He unselfishly serves our family. Some of his acts of service include mowing our lawn (it always looks great), going to the grocery store for me, keeping up the maintenance on our vehicles, fixing broken things, handling the finances, among others. I thank God for Mr. Ely's willingness to serve others...it is one of his great strengths.

* He is a hard worker...and works hard at the right things. Being the wife of a pastor has its challenges, but I am truly grateful that Mr. Ely is in the Lord's ministry. He is diligent and resourceful in his work, and everyone knows he is so good with people. Only two things will last into eternity (the Word of God and people), and Mr. Ely's eternal perspective allows him to have a correct value system, rejecting materialism and putting eternal things before riches and other things of this world. I am SO thankful for this quality in Mr. Ely.

* Mr. Ely not only handles our finances, he handles them well. When we got married (almost 7 years ago), I automatically assumed that I would handle the finances (since I'm the "accountant"), but Mr. Ely has taken care of this responsibility from Day 1 and I have never had to bear this burden. I am so thankful he makes wise decisions and good investments, based upon Biblical principles. He is a good steward of our money before the Lord, checking many sources before he buys, using coupons, and just being wise about purchases in general. Oh, and he has such a generous spirit (a trait he surely picked up from his parents who are also very generous people).

* My man is rich in faithfulness. Faithfulness is a wonderful but rare quality these days, especially in regards to marriage. Our contemporary culture often entices men to be unfaithful to their wedding vows and spiritual commitments, so I cannot express how grateful I am that Mr. Ely is loyal to me (and to Jesus). I'm glad he has "stick-to-it-iveness." :) And not only this, but he intentionally turns his back on the wickedness of our culture and media. He recognizes and avoids evil, and stands for righteousness. I so appreciate Mr. Ely's faithfulness to God and His Word.

* He is a forgiving man. Mr. Ely is always the first to come say "I'm sorry" when we've argued about something, even when I am the one in the wrong. He keeps short accounts of my problems and never harbors grudges against me or anyone else. I am constantly impressed with his ability to give grace to others when they do him wrong or say hurtful things against him. He is a much bigger person than I am in this area, and I am so thankful for such a man and the example that he is.

* He is so handsome! From the tip of his toes to his balding head, Mr. Ely is wonderfully made and attractive to me. I especially like his hairy legs, firm yet gentle hands, rugged chin, and dimply smile, and I'm so glad God made him just the way he is! "Behold you are handsome, my beloved! Yes, pleasant!" (Song of Songs 1:16a)

* He loves our children...even before they are conceived. I thank God often that Mr. Ely views children as blessings and assets, not as curses and liabilities. He has never put pressure on me to "get a job," but both encourages and supports my desire to nurture and train our children at home. And I must mention his fathering skills. He cares enough to discipline our children wisely, prays for them and with them regularly, takes interest in their activities, spends time with them, and takes part in developing their character, all the while being so loving and patient and playful. Another way he demonstrates his love for our children (and for me) is that he only brings into our home the music, entertainment, people, and books that honor God and build a sense of peace. I fully support his choices and consider this a wonderful quality.

Well, I could also tell of his creativity, spontaneity, courage, humility, balance, integrity, and numerous other spiritual strengths, but I better wrap this up if I'm to get this posted today. I thank the Lord for loving me so much as to bless me with this mighty man as my husband.

Let me end by mentioning that Mr. Ely received a birthday card in the mail from his parents today, on which his mother wrote, "You're a great son & father & husband - WOW!"

I agree...that just about says it all.

Happy Birthday, my love.

1 comment:

Eloy Lòpez said...

Amen sister!!! Except for the hairy legs things. I don't know about that. :)