Saturday, November 7, 2009

A special 'Book'

I mentioned in a previous post several months ago, that I was beginning to teach Banana to read. I used a wonderful curriculum entitled, Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. Banana whizzed through the first 50 lessons pretty handily, but then we slowed the pace quite a bit for the second half. Not all the lessons were "easy." Some were even pretty challenging. But Banana worked hard and last month she completed all 100 lessons! Supposedly, according to the book, she can now read on a second grade level...I don't know much about reading levels, and that claim may be a bit lofty, but I do feel that she is off to a good start. She enjoys being able to read 'real' books from the library and from around our home.

We told Banana from the onset, that when she completed all 100 lessons, she would receive her own "real" Bible...with her name imprinted on the front and everything. You should have seen her face when we gave it to her...a pink Precious Moments Bible (out of print, by the way) with a pink Precious Moments Bible Cover too. To say that she was excited, doesn't quite describe her elation. She loves taking it to Sunday School and Church and transcribing its verses into her journal.



LORD, may 'Banana' always cherish your Word and ever walk in loving obedience to its living commands! Thank You for preserving it for us and allowing us the opportunity to read/study it today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go "Banana"! Yea!

D Herrod said...

Very cool.
I like what my mom always says about reading. That it is caught not taught. Best way to learn to read is by reading.

Tiffany Autrey said...

Used the same book on mine and LOVED it! Congratulations to both Mommy and "Banana" :)