Friday, August 31, 2007

Who was Mary's midwife?

"Banana" asked me this morning, "Who was Mary's midwife when baby Jesus was born?"

I never cease to be amazed (and humored!) at the types of questions my children come up with, on all sorts of subjects. It seems that a lot of questions and spiritual conversations are stimulated when we work on our Scripture memory, mainly because the verses often introduce words that are new to "Banana"'s vocabulary. Words like "law" or "prophets" or "trespasses." I am amazed also at how much understanding she seems to grasp on sometimes complex truths, or how she will recall information from a previous conversation and incorporate that into her thinking. Like today, after she asked about Mary's midwife, she thought a second and then said rather confidently, "Her cousin Elizabeth was probably the midwife."

Doubtful, but who knows? My kids keep me smiling and they keep me delving into God's Word to know how to correctly answer them...I like that.

No comments: