Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Sewing Project: Done.

I mentioned in a previous post a couple of months back about my getting a new sewing machine. Well shortly after it arrived, we had an out-of-town trip for a wedding, and then we had two weeks of swimming lessons, and then there was Father's Day, and a Baby Dedication, and then came Fourth of July, and....well, you get the picture. Sadly, Mr. Janome stayed in the box, unopened, for several weeks. But I finally decided it was 'now or never' and in the midst of planning/packing for our Glorieta trip, I tried to acclimate myself to this beautiful new machine. And so my project (making an outfit for Banana) began. (My mom had already made Papaya's outfit way back at the beginning of the summer.)

Side question: Have any of you tried to sew/make something with four little persons underfoot? It's not super effective or efficient, but it can be done....slowly, and with lots of interruptions. :)

Okay, back to the point. Banana's outfit. I had to set the project aside while we went out of town again, and for all the birthday happenings, and during my Fall school planning, BUT, I got to pick it back up this past weekend. AND...ta-daah...it's finished!

I have to give some (okay, lots) of credit to my mom. She was always so patient and helpful when I'd call and say, "Okay, Mom, I've read this thing [pattern instructions] FIVE times and I still don't get what it's telling me to do!"

Here are Banana and Papaya, modeling their beloved outfits...


I made Banana's (left), and my mom made Papaya's (right)



a close-up of Banana's neckline & butterflies



capri detail



Papaya's ladybugs





the backs



two happy little girls


I probably won't be sewing another outfit again for a while. It was definitely fun and there's a sense of accomplishment after homemaking anything. But this project has made me appreciate the ability to purchase my kids' clothes for reasonable prices at Target or Once Upon a Child (resale)....at least in the meantime. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I think the outfits are adorable!

Good Job :)

~ Lauren

Unknown said...

Rebecca liked looking at the outfits with their butterflies and ladybugs! :)

Morello Madness said...

Way to go! They're super cute! I can't believe all the detail with that trim and a gathered back. I really like to sew too, but I haven't invested in a sewing maching yet. I'm afraid I'd give up on studying my new language and just sew all the time!

have fun!
Amy

Isaiah 19 said...

I'm impressed! You did a great job. Love the detail - looks difficult! The girls look so cute.